Saturday, October 17, 2009

Feeling Punchy

I had my first moment of irrational hysteria yesterday. Not bad, with only eight days left to "I Do."

After Matt and I applied for our marriage license and assured town hall that we are not brother and sister, we put him on a train to go to work. When he left, I gave him the train schedule and the couple of dollars I had in my wallet after paying for the marriage license.

A few hours later, I was going to get on a train to go see my sister and her family. First, NJ Transit's website was down and I had to deal with calling a phone number with one of those wonderful "automated attendants." So that right there lost me a good 15 minutes.

Then I get to the train station. My hometown is doing construction on the train station, so I thought your only option was to buy your train ticket on the train. As you recall, I have no cash now. As you can assume, I find out the train conductor doesn't take credit cards. So, I have to get off the train in the next town and buy my ticket at a machine that DOES take credit cards, all just in time for the train to leave me there.

The train conductor told me a train was "right behind us." In my book, that means 5-10 minutes. So I check the posted schedule near the ticket machine. In the conductor's book, "right behind us" means 35 minutes! You know what I did? I open-handed punched the schedule and yelled an expletive, and then burst into tears.

I called my sister crying and she complimented my ability to recognize the ridiculousness of crying over a train. So I got myself a pumpkin spice latte and listened to Kellie Pickler, and eventually I was fine.

By the way, can you imagine if I'd gotten married with a cast on my wrist due to punching a train schedule? It would be hard to use the excuse "you should've seen the other guy."

No comments:

Post a Comment