Friday, October 10, 2008

Yup, I'm Drinking Some Sugar-Free Kool-Aid

Not too much going on with the wedding planning the past few weeks, but I do have something I must share.

Since I got engaged and therefore started Googling bridal things and perusing The Knot, I have seen things change in my online ads. Thanks to Google and the cookies these sites are apparently dropping on my computer, I'm being told to:

a) buy lots and lots of wedding stuff! and
b) lose weight... fast!

(And, by the way, I don't seem to be seeing ads for online dating services anymore.)

Interesting, but not certainly not illogical.

As you all know by now, I expect to stick to my guns about not buying weird wedding crap or rationalizing blowing my budget because "I deserve it!" or "We're only doing this once!"
However, I must admit something. I'm owning up to giving in to something stereotypically bridal. I'm going to buy a scale (I threw mine out 9 years ago) and start losing some weight! (Sort of funny that I'm going to sign up for Weight Watchers in part because a COOKIE was dropped on my computer telling me that I should lose weight.)

There's something else I have to admit. Yesterday, I went for a quick run on the treadmill, and I didn't grab Us Weekly or Shape to cover up the time. I grabbed Town & Country Weddings. Yes, yes, I did. I flipped through pages of $10,000 gowns and blingy-bling rings and sterling silver ring boxes (hey grooms, if you really love her, get her one on Madison Avenue for just $250!) and descriptions of honeymoons that sounded too extravagent for Brangelina. Instead of Town & Country Weddings, that magazine should be called Wealthy & Budgetless Weddings.

Anyway, I guess if I'm going to drink some Wedding Kool-Aid (that would now be sugar-free!), eating better and exercising more isn't anything to be ashamed of (even if it is majorly cliche!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment