Thursday, April 2, 2009

How Do You Measure A Year?

In Rent, they point out that 525,600 minutes is a year, so how do YOU measure a year?

Well, recently, it occurred to me that my transitions into and during my adult life could sort of be measured in bras. (I don't think they'll be working this sentiment into the Rent soundtrack.)

I went to the Ridgewood Corset Shop (yes, that is really the name of the store) to try to buy my wedding day underthings. Before we went, my mom traced the back of my dress using surgical tape so we knew which bra I should get. Good thinking, Mom! Anyway, this lady Marika owns the Corset Shop and has worked there for a million years or something. So she comes in the dressing room to measure me and whatnot, and suddenly, I have a flashback: I'm maybe 11 years old and getting measured - by her - for my very first bra. (On a scale of 1 to 10, that experience was a 15 in my level of embarassment.) Now, here I was, 18 years later, and the same woman is measuring me for my wedding day.

I guess the next milestone will be getting nursing bras from her!

I might have crossed over into TMI Land, so I'll sign off now.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, I remember doing the exact same thing for the first "special" bra I had to buy. I no longer go to the Ridgewood Corset Shot, but there is a very very similar place right near me on 3rd Ave/82nd Street where the old ladies know your size without you asking, come into the dressing room and handle your boobs. What service!

    ReplyDelete