Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shall We Dance?

Matt and I haven't picked a first dance song yet. I am chock full of silly suggestions. Suggestions that are silly because a) Matt would never go for it, b) the song is so corny it would be hard to keep a straight face, or c) all of the above.

Allow me to share my ideas.

A Moment Like This by Kelly Clarkson / This Is My Now by Jordin Sparks / The Time of My Life by David Cook
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: C
I am an American Idol junkie, but even I admit that an Idol coronation song is pushing the limits of corniness.

Stand By Me by Ben E. King
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: A
Because Matt is crazy. He actually told me he doesn't like this song. I don't get it.

Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: C
I absolutely love this song and all its early-1980s glory, but I think the music video is proof enough for why I can't even suggest this one to Matt.

Open Arms by Journey / You're the Inspiration by Chicago
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: B
Again, I love this song, but I would feel like I'm at the end of summer dance at Camp Bernie in 1992. Matt and I would have to dance arm's distance apart!

A Whole New World from Aladdin / Can You Feel the Love Tonight from Lion King / Beauty and the Beast from Beauty and the Beast
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: C
Much as I love Disney, I can admit how dorky we'd look dancing to one of these songs. (Though I did really consider seeking out a Disney-inspired wedding dress.)

Every Breath You Take by the Police
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: C
Great song, but I don't think dancing to stalker undertones is the way Matt and I want to kick off our marriage.

Glory of Love by Peter Cetera
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: C
Yup, this is the song that plays during Daniel-san and Kumiko's date in Okinawa in Karate Kid Part II. Enough said.

This Is the Night by Clay Aiken
Reason why this will not be my wedding song: A
I love Clay dearly - he's my all-time favorite Idol! - but I think I know better than to even bring this up to Matt.

And yes, all of these songs are in my ipod. Try not to be jealous.


Wedding update -- I had my first dress fitting this weekend and my hair trial!

6 comments:

  1. "Something About Us" is the perfect first dance song.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPYMaF2vAmg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your song choices and I have many of those songs on my iPod too. Best of luck on choosing a wedding song.

    I have to agree with the person mentioning the song "Something About Us". It is a beautiful song.

    My son and new daughter-in-law used this song as their wedding song back in May. Lovely choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...we're not familiar with many Clay Aiken songs, but Something About Us is really cool. We may have to cover it. For more inspiration, check out this page of our site:
    http://www.myweddingmusic.com/PlanningTips/First-Dance-Songs.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching your sister imitate a dance at Camp Bernie made my night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My suggestion is Amazed by Lonestar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. here are a few suggestions that i am considering for my own wedding:

    "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams
    "It's Your Love" by Tim McGraw
    "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith
    "When you say nothing at all" by Alison Krauss (or various artists sing this song so its personal choice)
    "Your still the One" by Shania Twain

    These are just a few of my favorites! i hope it helps out some!

    ReplyDelete