Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Do You Have This Dress in "Snow Princess Dancing on a Cloud Sprinkled with Baby Powder" White?

OK, you guys. I need to chill out and start having more fun with my wedding planning. As Blanche Deveraux once said, "I'm wound up tighter than a girdle on a Baptist minister's wife at an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast." (I'm not that bad -- I just wanted an excuse to use that quote.)

I've heard of many brides who go out and try out dresses before Mr. Right even gets to finish his proposal. So, I figure that must be the shortest path to feeling like a bride -- dress shopping! I'm going to try on lots of dresses to get myself into bridal mode! If picking a reception place, meeting with a priest, and booking a photographer hasn't fully done the trick, surely a pretty party dress will! I'll be like Maria in West Side Story -- spinning around in front of mirrors singing, "I feel pretty! oh so pretty!"



(Now you may be wondering -- what about me wearing that dress that I already have that I love? Well, I tried it on about a month ago and discovered that while I do weigh right around the same as I did in high school, apparently some of me isn't exactly the same. I'll cut to the chase -- my boobs currently aren't quite fitting. Dammit!)

So, while I'm working up my peppiness for dress shopping, I do have to be a bit snarky for a second. I called today to make an appointment to try on wedding dresses. I tell her which dresses I know I want to try on. She asks me if I want to try on the dresses in white, and I'm like, I'm not Blanche Deveraux (she wore a red wedding dress because "not even she could keep a straight face if she wore white"). Well, this nice sales lady isn't really sure what to do with me, so she asks if, for example, I want white or ivory? This is a totally serious question, and I had yet another moment where I feel like I'm the weirdo, because I haven't dreamed of my "white"/"ivory"/"vanilla ice cream"/"snow princess dancing on a cloud sprinkled with baby powder" colored dress my whole life. So I tell her, since I don't know the difference between white and ivory, I have no idea what I like.

I should be a real gem for a salesperson to work with this weekend, don't you think?

Maybe I'll some inspiration from these dresses . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment