Friday, September 5, 2008

Going to the Chapel

As I have learned from watching The Bachelor, apparently a lot of women grow up dreaming of their wedding day. Now maybe I'm weird, but I not only never thought about my wedding day, I didn't even picture myself married.

But as Matt and I got more serious, I really could picture myself married -- to him. Matt and I are getting married on October 24, 2009! Woohoo! I am so excited!!

So anyway, I thought I'd keep track of what happens with this whole wedding thing over the next year. I'm not really into all this wedding craziness at the moment, but I wonder how and if I will change my opinions. I hear it's really easy to get wrapped up in the momentum of the planning, and I should probably assume I'm just as vulnerable as the next bride-to-be. Here are some of my current thoughts on weddings:

  • All that we REALLY need to have a wedding is me, Matt, and someone who can legally marry us. Everything else is can be considered added bonuses. (I can't imagine this opinion ever changing!)
  • Wedding dresses are a rip off. All brides look pretty because they're HAPPY. And even if they don't look all that great, everyone will them they're beautiful because, you know, she's the bride!
  • Flowers smell nice and are pretty. I hear they're very pricey.
  • Cocktail hour is the best part of the reception. Do it up!
  • Getting married in a church is intimidating me.
  • Photography and food are splurge worthy. Flowers, chair covers, and invitations are not. "Just Married" flip-flops are just plain strange.
  • Vendors are ready to rip off anyone who uses words like "bridal" or "wedding."

So let's see... will I drink (and maybe get intoxicated from) the Wedding Kool Aid? or will I resist its charm?

Disclaimer: This blog reflects my own opinions and I'm certainly not dissing anyone else's choices. I don't judge anyone who does get really into the wedding stuff. To each her own!

No comments:

Post a Comment